Wednesday, May 23, 2012

It IS Kind of Funny to See People Fail

I have this problem. Put me on stage as a character, and I'm as happy as a pig in shit. Same thing goes for a movie camera. When I teach, I'm also playing a character, so to speak, so I'm cool with that. But put me in front of a bunch of people as MYSELF, and good god, if there's shit, it's bound to be in my pants.  (Don't worry, I'm not being literal.)

There is, however, something immensely funny about watching other people fail. Come on, it's okay, you can admit it. The Germans even have a word for it.  Schadenfreude. So tonight, if you're in Halifax, I invite you to come and experience Schadenfreude for yourself. Because I'll be standing in front of a crowd (or--worse--an empty room), reading from my new collection of short stories, Every Second Weekend.  (Look! You can read a book review here!)

And, if taking pleasure in my terror is not enough for you (I may resort to hiding under a table with a box of cupcakes), the event is at Sweet Hereafter, makers of the BEST cheesecake and cupcakes in Halifax!  Delicious desserts and the suffering of others! Best. Night. Ever.

The deets:
Tonight, Sweet Hereafter, 6148 Quinpool Road, Halifax
Readings at 6 and 8:30 PM by me and Colin Fullerton.
Books available for purchase.

*Gulp...*


1 comment:

Daddy Background said...

I just finished the section called "no accident". Boy. The only failure I'm conscious of is my ability to describe how good it is.