Sunday, May 28, 2006

And they don't even issue gloves.

I got a job this week--started yesterday. I still get scholarship payments over the summer, plus I have a small summer term TAship, but partly because I was bored at home and not doing the reading I should have been (I require structure to work effectively!) and partly because we could use the extra cash, I decided to get a part-time job. Because we could survive on my summer pay if we needed to, I only applied for jobs I thought I would enjoy. So I got called for an interview at Atlantic Gardens, the biggest gardening centre in Metro (i.e. the greater Halifax area--Atlantic gardens is actually in Bedford and Sackville. Think St. Albert or Sherwood Park.) and they said that they're looking for full-time (44 hours/week) at the Sackville greenhouse. I said no thanks, I really only want part-time (no more than 30 hours in any given week, but I'd prefer less) in Bedford. She said okay, she'll get back to me the following day. I didn't hear from her for a few days, so I figure that someone else got the job. Then she called on Friday to tell me she wants me in the following day (yesterday--Saturday) for full-time up in Sackville. What do you do? I said okay, but that after June, I really, really only want part-time. Just a couple of shifts a week. Seriously. She said maybe.

I am such a freakin marshmallow.

So I start yesterday and get this--not only do they have one of those old-fashioned punch-card systems, there is a recess bell that tells us when to start, when to go on break, when to get back to work, and when to go home! I swear to god, I feel like at 5 o'clock, I should be sliding down a dinosaur's tail to my car! And my hands are all cut up from the stupid plastic plant trays. This is awesome.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on ... say it... "It's a living... crawk"
-Phil

Becca said...

Yeah--could be worse.

I could be in Wyoming!

Anonymous said...

Or Bonnyville.

Becca said...

Yup. That's true. It could be Bonnyville. Ack.

Anonymous said...

phidit is wyoming where the deer and the antelope roam?

Becca said...

Don't know about deer and antelope, but he did say he saw a tumbleweed...

Anonymous said...

I have actually seen numerous antelope and even a couple of deer, but they weren't playing, the deer were sleeping. Wyoming is where the little fuzzy bunnies roam... millions of little fuzzy bunnies. Much smaller than the UofA bunnies... I wonder if they are tasty.
-Phil