Thursday, August 10, 2006

Am I Wearing a Warning Label?

And does it say "Danger! Fragile and Prone to Meltdowns!"? I got an email today. It was a rejection letter from the Dalhousie Review, telling me that they've decided not to print "Flag Man." Rejection letters are not new to me. After nearly eight years of submitting my stuff to various magazines and publishers, I think the score is 2 acceptances to 50 or so rejections by now, and while each one feels like a kick to the gut, I've gotta say, I'm pretty used to them. (A sane person would have given up by now.) However, I'm pretty sure that my personal reaction to disppointment isn't exactly public knowledge--which is what makes this particular letter so weird. Here is a sample of the email:

I hope this rejection isn't too discouraging to you. Rejection by journals is something that every writer has had plenty of experience with. /The Dalhousie Review/ rejects somewhere around 95% of what we receive, and this rate isn't unusual among journals. Authors looking for publication just must, unfortunately, become inured to rejection, and keep trying.

Um... have they got me mixed up with some other Rebecca Babcock who goes postal every time rejection rears its ugly head? Or have I somehow earned a local reputation for being dangerously unstable? Perhaps I should point out now that this wasn't a form letter; in fact, he discusses at length the rejection process and the reasons they've rejected my story (if it were a Jackie Chan movie, the kung-fu hit sounds would have blown your speakers by now).
So. I gotta ask you guys (yeah, all both of you, my loyal readers): are you spreading dirty rumours about my emotional stability?

(No rah-rah comments allowed, please--I've got a cavity that needs filling already. Only cynical commentary on the publishing world and this weird letter in particular will be accepted.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's like when I had to see the Dean to appeal a mark and it didn't exactly work in my favor and the Dean asked me if I was going to go jump off the high level bridge now. Hahah! We're both perceived as emotionally unstable. We rock.

Toni

Anonymous said...

ps- I love how many times they used the word 'rejection' in that paragraph! that's awesome :)

T

tania said...

hey, what have i always told you, if it's not a form letter than someone took the time to write that which means you stood out.

it's like rejection-lite.

or, it could be because of all those rumours i've been spreading about your handling of rejection - the violent death of several editors by your hands, some castration, nothing big.

Julie said...

not sure about you but I think I have a few warning labels.... Maybe they got us confused.