Monday, January 01, 2007

7 Things to Do in '07

Happy New Year! 2006 was a hella one, wasn't it? It's hard to believe that so much happened in 365 little days. As my New Year's gift to you all, here is my suggestion for 7 ways to make '07 more fun:

7. Rent Brick. The Good German is posing as the return of film noir, but it's amazing what a perfect fit film noir is with tormented adolescence. You'll recognize the movie's star from 3rd Rock From the Sun.

6. Get your own Blog and stop bugging me to update mine! (I'm kidding. I LOVE that you guys like to read my Blog so much. But I'm not kidding about getting your own. Seriously. Who doesn't want to see the Adventures Soholt or Paul Rocks Lethbridge or Phil & Nancy's Mad Geek Blog?)

5. Go rent the miniseries/pilot for the new version of Battlestar Galactica (it's avaible as "Season 1, Disc 1"). I know, I know. I was skeptical too--in fact, Phil and I used to call Corona LRT station "Battlestar Galactica" because of those awful, 70s-sci-fi-esque lights. Nancy made me watch an episode. And now Trent and I have been obsessively watching every episode available on DVD. Honestly, it's the only thing that's relieved some of the sting left by the end of Buffy. And it almost matches Buffy for witty repartee. My favourite, so far: "No more Mister Nice Gaius!" --Dr. Gaius Baltar.

4. When Outlander comes out, get together a big group of people and go see it together. Cheer madly every time Trent the Viking appears onscreen. Your fellow moviegoers will love you for it.

3. Sign up as an extra in a movie or TV episode. Get in touch with one of these guys to find out how.

2. Go and do something lame and touristy in your home city. Spend a night at the overpriced hotel in Fort Edmonton. Ride the roller coaster in West Ed. See the critters in the zoo. I don't know--something.

1. Book your visit to Halifax!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonne et heureuse année d'un petit coin de France, ici pas de neige mais beaucoup de chaleur dans nos coeurs
biz.....biz....ginou

Becca said...

Ginou! Quelle surprise! Look everybody, it's Ginou! (Good good, these tear ducts work good lately.)

Anonymous said...

Nelson loves Battlelame Galactisnooze. Man that show pisses me off.
I hate it when people make out for no reason.
Barf! Haha.

Megs said...

#6 is key....i convinced people to do this years ago...hahah they still keep bugging you to update. popularity is soo overrated!

Anonymous said...

Phidit and Nancy should see if they can outdo the DARNAT blog in terms of geekiness. That will be a challenging task....

http://canmorewedding.blogspot.com/

T

Anonymous said...

Because Roz only ever calls it Battlelame Galactisnooze, I can never ever remember what its actually called.

I think her Battlelame Galactisnooze anger comes from the same inner tumultuous spot that her secret hate comes from. Roz hates pretty girls. She judges them at face value and determines that they have no value whatsoever. Because they don't have to work as hard as she does (we do) to get anywhere... And Roz, I believe, strongly feels that Battlelame Gallactisnooze examplifies everything that is wrong with the pretty girl.

I have yet to see an episode.

And that, folks, is my analysis of the Roz.
T

Becca said...

Well, I'm not going to lie to you. There is a lotta eye candy in that show. Trent hearts Cylon Number 6. Me, I'm crushing on Starbuck.

Anonymous said...

Bec, tell the story of Trent hearting things...

Becca said...

Um, okay. But first remind me--what story is that? Or shall I just make one up?

Anonymous said...

well suddenly you were saying Trent hearts things. Just wondering if there was a cute trent story to go along with how that came to be :)

If not, make one up :)

T

tania said...

'kay i've already completed 5&6 so i guess that only leaves me 5 things to do in 2007. should leave me plenty of free time for the thesis :)

and i must say i'm a starbuck girl myself.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry pretty people, but I do judge you.

On average, pretty people earn 12% more than the rest of us. Although this artice states that it's more of a disadvantage to be ugly, rather than an advantage to be pretty. Meh.
Stereotype directionality and attractiveness stereotyping: Is beauty good or is ugly bad?
Griffin AM, Langlois JH
SOCIAL COGNITION 24 (2): 187-206 APR 2006

Recently, some studies suggested that Canadian parents spend more time on their attractive children. The researchers watched parents shopping and found that the less attractive children were actually less likely to be buckled into strollers than the pretty ones.
http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=391872005

Becca said...

Um... Roz? I hate to tell you this (and I'm not just being flattering, I'm being honest), but you hardly qualify as "ugly people." And frankly, if I had to place myself on one side of the line or the other, I'd have to put myself (and you, and Toni, by the way) on the Pretty People side. Maybe it's just because I'm reading Atwood's Survival for my comps right now, but what is it with the impulse to cast ourselves in victim roles? In general, it's an impulse that kind of makes me angry, perhaps because I've been on the ugly end of the victim complex. Twice. The first time was when a woman from Pakistan (just learning English) didn't understand what I was asking her when I asked for her squid recipe--I was a cashier at IGA. She complained to the store manager that I had made racist remarks about her ethnic food, and I had to apologize or be fired. The second time was when an LGBTQ activist told the Gateway newspaper that I was a homophobe. After I had tried to help him register his organization in order to get campus funding. And yes, there are some pretty people in some of the TV shows that I like to watch, but with the Battlestar Galactica exception of Tricia Helfer, I don't think they're any prettier than the slightly-above-average people I see on a daily basis. Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck), for instance, has short legs and a bit of a love-handle to her. Edward James Olmos has major skin issues. And the woman who plays the President is an attractive, but very age-appropriate (i.e. NOT plastic-surgeried) 60-ish woman. Yes, the people we see on TV are, on the average, more attractive than the people we see in daily life--partly because they have the on-screen advantage of professional stylists, wardrobers, etc. But guess what? The people we see on a university campus are smarter than average. The people we see on professional sports teams are more physically-fit than average. Not everybody is the same, and certain professions favour certain advantages. We only say it's not fair when those advantages aren't our particular own. How would you feel if, say, you wanted to be a chemist or an engineer, but you had an IQ of 90 or so? Does anybody have stats on IQs, educational levels and lifetime earnings?
I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Ron really needs some advice on movies to rent. Last week he came home with "Jackass 2." Aaargh!
(Hey, great to see word from Ginou!)