Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'm Fessin' Up

Here it is--my confession: I am probably the only person in all of North America who wasn't glued to the TV today. Just after 1 (Halifax time), I made myself a tea, then walked down the hall and peered into all the offices where people were crowded around computer screen, watching the CNN live feed of the inauguration. And when I got back to my office, I cracked a browser window myself. But here's the confession: I wasn't enthralled. I didn't cry.
Before I start getting hate mail, I should clarify: I think Obama is awesome. Wish we could replace Sweatervest with an Obama of our own. I cried when I heard the election results. I feel pretty hopeful when I think of what the next eight (yes, eight) years will be like in the world. But I just subjected Nicole, my friend, colleage and officemate to a tyrade of cynical curmudgeonliness about the obsessive attention to the inauguration. Why? Honestly, I'm not really sure. Except that I feel generally suspicious of ceremonies. I guess what I'm most looking forward to is opening the newspaper over the next few weeks and months and seeing the kinds of things he does as President. Don't get me wrong: the English grad student in me really admires him as an orator. It's exciting (in a very nerdy way) to see rhetoric used so expressively and effectively in public. Especially after eight simultaneously hilarious and appalling George W years. (What? women putting food on their families?) I guess maybe, too, I think it's a little sad that we won't have such an obvious source of humour for the next few years. But what I think it comes down to is that I feel a little sorry for Obama. I mean, the man could be Jesus or Dumbledore himself and still not live up to all that we want him to live up to. Also, he's inheriting a huge crap pile, and everyone's trusting him to clean it all up: the economy, Iraq, Afghanistan, and more than three hundred years of racism and oppression--the whole shebang. Honestly, does anyone envy this man the task ahead of him? Still, I think we're all hopeful. I guess it's an exciting time--especially after eight years of terror and paranoia. So why am I being so curmudgeonly about the whole inauguration speech? Maybe I'm just a jerk. Or maybe I'm hoping that we're going to see real and meaningful change. And as much as I love a well-crafted, effectively delivered speech, I think that what excites me most is not the speech, but the action that, I hope, will follow.
Or maybe I'm just curmudgeonly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? "curmudgeonly," "Dumbledore," "rhetoric," you know that just because you are an English student, you can't make up words, right?

Yep, I agree, it would be best if he was assassinated sooner than later. That way people won't be disappointed when he doesn't turn out to be Jesus. Everybody knows that assassinating an 'ok' president will make him look much better to future generations.

Of course I really do hope that he makes things better.

By the way, I just linked "president" and "assassinate" in the same post on your blog, so they are watching you now.

Phil

Anonymous said...

Oh, and let's send Bush our with a fitting tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KogebxJkHig&eurl

Phil

Anonymous said...

By the way, I'm occasionally referred to as Mr. Harper at work when I wear my sweater vests. He ruins everything!

Phil

Zobot said...

You are clearly unfamiliar with this Obama speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cen37qxA7E

I think we will have lots of intelligent laughs with Mr Obama.