Tuesday, October 03, 2006

His Noodly Appendage

I've been getting pretty stressed out lately sbout my inability to clip through my reading list as my comps draw ever closer. I've also been growing frustrated by the proponderance of religious and semireligious (like the Pilgrim-instituted celebration of the gradual suppression of Native North American culture and autonomy, Thanksgiving!) holidays that apparently make it impossible for my students to hand in their assignments on time. And then today, Philip sent me a link that has made me realize that, like my students, I am in a position wherein my religious beliefs have provided me with an answer to my current academic anxieties; please see, below, the letter of explanation that I intend to send to my supervisor.

Dear Dr. Dawson,
I must regretfully inform you that, due to a recent divine intercranial intervention by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or FSM, I will be unable to successfully complete my Comprehensive Examinations in May 2007. As a result of my devout faith, FSM, in his divine wisdom, recently chose me as his prophet, and I must therefore undertake a religious pirating journey in order to prevent global warming. Evidence of His decision to call me to divine piracy is that, while I was well-close to completing my assigned reading, He used His Noodly Appendages to wipe several--in fact, most--of the canonical texts of Canadian Literature from my memory, and indeed, He has chosen to remove many of these books, which I had obtained in a very timely manner last spring, from my library altogether. I am sure that you will accept this most religious of academic excuses and will unquestioningly defer my Comprehensive Examinations to a time that is more pleasing to Him.
RAmen,
Rebecca Babcock,
PhD Candidate and Divine Pirate
Arrrgh...

5 comments:

Rice said...

lol, I love it! I'm going to stick a meat ball to the back of my car to show my faith..

cheers.

Rice

Meagan said...

Can I use this letter to send to Dr. Stone, too? Comps looming, doom is closing in. yoikes.

Becca said...

Sure--if there are lost of us using the FSM excuse, it lends more credence to the reason for delay, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

What... "dog at it" doesn't cut it anymore?
-Phil

Becca said...

Dear Dr. Dawson:
Dog ate my brain.
Sincerely,
-Becca
P.S. "Oh, no, my brains!" -- Hans Moleman.