Friday, October 06, 2006

Silent But Deadly

Last week, my English 2205 Tutorial was a little frustrating. Discussion was lackluster, so I let my students go home a little early. This week, I prepared a discussion for them about aims and strategies in "The Wife of Bath's Prologue" in The Canterbury Tales. Granted, not the most stimulating text, but I figured we could do a close reading together of a particularly rich section. Now, every Monday and Wednesday, my students sit in a lecture hall with 170 other English 2205 students and listen to the prof lecture on the various texts. Then, on Friday, they are supposed to be discussing the texts in smaller groups--i.e. tutorials--led by a TA (me!). I try to mix things up week to week--one week, I'll prepare a half dozen discussion questions, split them into groups, have them work on their own for fifteen minutes or so, then we reconvene as a group to see what everyone's come up with. Other times, I'll just prepare a class discussion. And the first few weeks went rather well. Last week, as I've said, was a little more difficult. This week, however, was downright painful. First, I would ask what's going on in a certain section. Silence. So then I'd rephrase my question and point to specific lines. More silence. Finally, I would point to a key line and ask what it said. Silence. Who knew that 30 English majors would be completely illiterate? So after about the third or fourth time this had happened, I decided to switch tactics. I asked them to split into groups of about 3, and told them that I would assign them each a few lines to work on. Silence. They just sat there, staring at me, out the window, at their notebooks, whatever.
I kind of lost my temper. I told (yelled at) them that I was sure they could manage forming groups of three. And you know what? They did.
So now I need a favour from you guys. Please--think back to your undergrad or college experiences. What was wrong with the instructors you didn't like? What did the good instructors do that got people talking? For the love of FSM, give me a clue--I am not willing to be that instructor that students actually tell each other to avoid!
(Roz, I'm looking at you here--I know you've won teaching awards...)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's awful, isn't it?
I like it when I yell and it strikes fear into the hearts of undergrads... Although I must admit that I lead by geek enthusiasm more than anything else.

The hardest part is finding out what motivates the group. Individually, it's easy. Some want good grades, some want to impress authority or the hot babe sitting next to them, others are just too cool for school.

I'll suggest what Jeff did in his lecture on fish. Apparently, he acutally replicated fish reproductive organs on paper and covered himself in them.

Sometimes you can bribe them with candy.

What about games? We do Jeopardy-type games in science a lot. You guys could act stuff out too, you're artsy.

Or take them out of the classroom. One of my best labs was collecting fungus in the forest.

Well, I hope this helps. I can tell you that sometimes it doesn't matter. People get tired and it's not your fault. At least I hope it isn't my fault when they cry. I hate that.

Becca said...

Roz, you rock! I'm sure there will be a text on the list this year that lends itself to fungus-collection...

Meagan said...

Doooood...I wish I could help, but unfortunately I'm hopeless.

Mmm..we're having chicken tonight. CHICKEN! Weeeeeeeee

What's the matter colonel sandurz?...Chicken?

Muahahaaa...okay I've officially lost my mind (or what was left of it at the outset).

Anonymous said...

I had this really hot TA once, actually she was the English 199 Grad Student. As a class of nerds, none of us could talk to her (since she was an attractive g .. g .. g ... girl), so she probably thought that we weren't interested either. So, is your class mostly young boys (or-girls-who-like-girls)?
-Phil

Becca said...

Um... yeah, I'd like to go with the whole "My class is intimidated by my extraordinary beauty" explanation--I really would...

Anonymous said...

Becca, Like I said, insert your devil voice sporadically in your dicsussions, as if its completely normal, and wiggle your ears a little....

everyone remembers the quirky TAs the most :)

T

tania said...

some days, they just don't wanna be there.

my teaching method consists mostly of geek enthusiasm as well. if it's genuine it usually works. jeopardy games and the like are good, especially if you combine them with candy prizes - you'd be surprized what a 20 year old would do for a klondike bar.

also, mentioning sex. it's crass and crude but students dig it and it can be found in most english lit (esp. Canterbury Tales). and don't be afraid to wear low cut tops, or that cool c-thru white one that shows off your tatoo. they may not be paying attention to the text, but they'll be attentive.

Anonymous said...

NIKKI SAYS:

Hi Becca,

I also feel your pain, but have learned (in some situations) to avoid it.

Sometimes it's scary to have a big, smart, PhD tutor-person looking at you and expecting a reaction from you.

In my dance classes I, at times, get the same reaction from students (notably, when I turn around and ask them if they have any questions, or to get into position for a new excercise).

I have learned the value of telling my students clearly and calmly what I want done, making sure I give them time to ask questions and get any help they need beforehand...and then I expect them to get a move on and DO IT!

Sometimes, a show of certainty, confidence, and of a DETERMINATION to make progress without dallying (my definition of "dallying" does not include legitimate questions or a true need of extra help) on your own part will help them get energized (or at least get them quickly preparing) to do what you've asked them to.

Make sense? I hope so. One doesn't need to be a pushy b*tch (which you would NEVER be anyways, sweet lady) to get things rolling, but to simply let it be understood that you demand results, just as much as you recognize that your students may need extra help or attention at times.

Hope this helps, xox nik-kitten