Wednesday, October 11, 2006

More Lakes and Trees...

I needed a break from my Early Long Poems of Canada (euch.) yesterday, and it was fabulously warm and sunny out, so I took Marlowe for a walk on Crystal Crescent Beach. As I was enjoying the warm sun, cool sand and ocean water on my bare feet, it occurred to me that my favourite places in the world are the ones where I've gone hiking with dogs: the rural roads and tiny villages up the mountain from the Diots' in France (with Tacot), Elk Island outside of Edmonton (with Trent and Marlowe) and now, Crystal Crescent. The tide was really low yesterday--so low that the place where Nancy slipped on a rock in the water was dry, and there was another small beach beyond the small one where Phil, Nancy Trent and I hung out--but before the nude beach that Julie, Emmet and I walked to when we lost Bob and Trent (yes, please contemplate it, Gentle Readers). And suddenly, it occurs to me why there's so much bad topographical poetry in Canadian Literature--I actually had the urge to rhapsodize on the rocks, the trees, the sand and the ocean! I guess that's something to think about when I feel that I can't possibly read one more poem about lakes and trees...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

COMMENTED!

Anonymous said...

See, that's why the haiku is awesome. It takes 2.5 seconds to read and sometimes less time to write. Plus, you can be as silly as you want, and it still sounds cool.

Becca said...

Ummm... thank you, anonymous. Are yo angry about your comment, or simply excited?

Anonymous said...

Teen Girl Squad at homestarrunner.com will often have an unexpected event occur with a one word description of what is happening. One example of such was when The Ugly One got "ARROWED!" Also see "CEREBELLUM'D!!", "MSG'D!!" and "ARROWED II!!" at http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Arrowed

Becca said...

Hi Nancy. Yes, I use "ARROWED!" Also, "Ow! My Most of Me!"
Got it.

COMMENTED!

Meagan said...

it's true. and yes, there is a hell of a lot of bad Canadian topographical poetry out there. oh man. but you'd know that better than I, my dear.

I have a new blog for my alter ego: http://sol-omnibus.blogspot.com. More procrastinating! Weeeee!

COMMENTED!

Anonymous said...

Hey sister, do you know that you haven't posted anything on your blog since last wednesday? It is now THIS wednesday! Don't you know that I check your blog sometimes two times a day just to see if there is something new going on... and In really do think one week is too much! C'mon! I am counting on your for webertainment!
-Brother
Oh and it was I... COMMENTED! ha ha ha ha ha ha ah. (yes, that says "ah")

Becca said...

Hmmm... and here I am, confusing your posts with Nancy's. Curious--almost as if you two were married. Hm... maybe you SHOULD get married...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... Roz should write a Haiku about Phidit and Nancy....

Roz can write a haiku about ANYTHING....

...insert Haiku now, Roz.

:)