Monday, June 12, 2006

Was that the Bird or a Thumbs-Up?

There are now three of us in Halifax with Oilers car flags: me, Trent and the lovely English department grad secretary, Mary Beth. Most of the time, I don't even think about it--just get in my truck, pop on the flag and get going--which sometimes gets me teased at work. Whatever.
So last week, I was driving on campus to meet Nikki for a coffee. I'm on University Avenue which, while not technically a pedestrian street, tends to see more foot traffic than vehicles. This student is crossing the street in front of me, then all of a sudden he stops and starts punching the air. I'm thinking, what is this, some new pedestrian-automobile road rage that I haven't heard of yet? The guy looks really serious and he's waving his fist up in the air like he wishes it were soebody's face and finally, I realize that he's giving me some kind of uber-serious Go-Oilers-Go signal. I guess I could have honked my horn or punched the air back at him, but I was so honest-to-god relieved that he wasn't going to jump on Hana's hood and start kicking the windshield out, all I managed was a smile.

No comments: