Thursday, September 15, 2005

Canada Post Has Decided My Future

Yeah.
Last month, I mailed my application to the University of Queensland. The guy at the post office (U of A SUB, if you're wondering) seemed a bit hung-over, but he weighed and mesured the envelope, charged me to mail it, then took it from me, so I figured all was good. Then Trent came home to Edmonton this week to find the envelope, "Returned to Sender" in the mailbox. Insufficient postage. (A $2 stamp, though I paid nearly 6 bucks.) So Trent made a bunch of frantic phone calls, I emailed the English department... and I heard back today, that, while they will consider me for entry into the PhD program, they will not consider me for scholarships until 2007.
So, in an effort to cheer myself up, here is a list of things that I love about Halifax:
  • Victorian houses, often painted vibrant, lovely colours
  • Trees and green spaces--lots of them. Big trees, too--not just scrubby-looking poplars
  • Point Pleasant Park
  • The Public Gardens
  • Pretty cemetaries (zombie-free from what I can tell). I know it sounds weird, but they're nice to pass by
  • Everything is close together--I can get pretty much anywhere by bus in under half an hour
  • Dalhousie University--very pretty campus, and they actually put humanities departments in nice, new buildings!
  • The Historic Properties on the waterfront
  • The waterfront
  • Close enought to make weekend trips to cool places like Montreal, New York, Maine or Boston
  • Lots of yummy seafood!
  • Close enough for friends and family to come and visit every now and then...
  • The "Halifax Squiggle." This is a term that Trent and I made up for roads that don't quite match up as they go through intersections...

I'm kind of sad right now. Not that I necessarily wanted to go to Australia over staying here... it was just nice to feel that I had the option...

No comments: